This week we have chosen to feature Katie Sponsler as our FitHAUS featured Athlete. Katie has been coming to FitHAUS since 2016 and has attended nearly 600 classes. Katie is one of those athletes that always greets you with a friendly smile, and brings great energy to every class she attends. Katie has actually attended every single class offered at FitHAUS. You can find her in CrossFit, at our Saturday Partner WOD with her husband Chad, at all of our special events, at Yoga, at Strength and Conditioning and at Barre. As busy as she is, she is so very dedicated to fitness and the community at FitHAUS. Another fun fact: Katie has is also somewhat of a Ragnar expert...she is the only FitHAUS member who has been on the FitHAUS Ragnar team every year for the past 4 years! Katie We thank you for making FitHAUS your fitness home and we are so happy to claim you as ours;)
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself (something that we may not know...kids, job, college, other hobbies or interests, fav vacations spot or movie).
I’m from a small town in NorthDakota located 30 miles south of the Canadian border – pretty much the middle of nowhere! I met my husband in China(not a typo) and we have three kiddos and one dog. We love to travel, with Hawaii as a family favorite.
I have an English undergrad degree and love to read – mostly fiction. At my day job, I’m a lawyer on the management side of the house at a law firm in Minneapolis.
2. What made you decide to join FitHAUS? What were you doing prior to coming to FH?
I’ve worked out pretty consistently since college. I used to run a lot and did several marathons and many half-marathons. I had been atLifetime for years, but was feeling pretty uninspired.
Katie Stahl had started working out at True Champion, FH’s predecessor, and had nothing but good things to say. I was intimidated by CrossFit, but she assured me it was all scalable. I was surprised by how much I liked it and it’s been a part of my life ever since!
3. What is your favorite thing about FitHAUS?
The people. I know everyone says it, but it’s true. Great people, great coaches.
4. What are some of the accomplishments related to physical fitness that you are most proud of. Do you have any fitness goals moving forward?
No matter how crazy things get at work or at home, I carve out that time to get to the gym.
One of these days, I will figure out kipping pull-ups so I can do more than just one at a time 😊
5. How had FitHAUS, or being physically active bettered your life outside of the gym?
I think for me the benefits are mental as much as physical.
6. What is your favorite class or movement/skill?What is your least favorite movement?
There are a lot of movements and classes I like, but for lifts, favorites would be dead lifts or power cleans. Least favorite is overhead squats.
7. What advice would you give to someone looking to join FITHAUS?
Give it a try – you will find a fun, supportive community!